The Friends are a Registered Charity No 1144039.
Since its founding the Friends have raised over £100,000 and established a firm membership of over 200 Band supporters. First call on the funds is supporting the running of the Youth Band, which we are proud to have been very involved in establishing. The Band has also benefited from the purchase of a number of new instruments including recently, two new Eb basses, a euphonium and a set of tubular bells.
Members receive three editions per year of a Newsletter keeping them informed of current and future Band events. We have run a highly successful “Proms on the Green” event for several years and have assisted with running important concerts.
The Friends organise low cost transport so members can accompany the Band to contests and concerts. Large contingents have cheered them on to their triumph at the First Section National Finals in Cheltenham in September 2011, in 2016 at their first appearance at the Championship Section National Finals at the Royal Albert Hall since 1981 and over 100 supporters were at the Birmingham Symphony Hall to cheer their first appearance in the British Open Championships in 2018. They have qualified again for the National Finals in 2019.
If you would like to join fellow supporters of the Band and become a member of the Friends please follow the link to Join the Friends.
- by supporting the activities of the Aldbourne Band, in the interest of continuing and extending the opportunities of musicians in the village and surrounding areas, to play in a high quality Band, with expert leadership and to extend their skills; and to enable the people of Aldbourne and district and others to enjoy brass Band music at its best,
and in particular:
- to provide organisational and administrative support especially for events to help with the promoting the Band and its public events
- to raise funds to support the running costs of the Band and to invest in new assets, activities and events
- to support the work of the Band to extend the musical education/training of members and potential members
and to further such charitable purpose or purposes as the trustees in their absolute discretion shall think fit but in particular through the making of grants and donations.
- Membership of the Friends is open to anybody who is an enthusiast for the Band and its music and is interested in furthering the objects of the Friends
- Members receive three editions of the Newsletter a year which give advance news of the Band’s activities, views and interviews with Band members
- The Band offer members a ticket concession at one concert a year and low cost transport is arranged to some venues
- Subscription is set at £10 minimum a year per member
Chairman – John Jacobs was a member of the original founding Steering Committee and brings a wide range of contacts in the life of the village to the committee,
Secretary – Gavin Dixon
Since moving to the village, Gavin and his wife Pam, who is also on the committee, became instant fans of the Band and have been keen to do all they can to support it.
Treasurer – John Burgis
John is a former company secretary and before that ran a family butchers business. He is active in many of the associations of the village and has been an enthusiast of the Band since arriving in the village.
Other members of the committee are Pam Dixon who, besides working hard at events, assists the Secretary’s work; Cathy Hughes, also a long time resident in the village, a keen choir member and incidentally, mother of Richard Hughes the Principal cornet player, is Membership Secretary; Don Barnes, a well known figure in the local community, is an Honorary Member of the Friends recognising his work for the Band over many years; and Andrea West one of our best known local artists and her husband Peter, another former player and retired local businessman.
Joining the committee in 2019 are Ashley Jones, a former player and historian of the Band and Warwick Hood, a retired senior civil servant with a life time interest in music, especially in choirs at the highest level.